Skip to main content

Travel Documents

All customers, including children and infants, must possess a valid travel document to fly on HK Express. Under some circumstances, you may also have to obtain a visa. As the documentation required varies by destination and citizenship, it is your responsibility to verify and obtain what you and all members of your party need prior to making a booking.


Please note that many countries require 3 to 6 months of passport validity at time of travel. It is your responsibility to check this requirement for all members of your party.


Please note that visa procedures and processing times vary greatly by country. In some cases, a visa approval may take weeks. It is your responsibility to ensure you have checked these details and have sufficient time and opportunity to meet all requirements prior to travel.

HKSAR passport holders

Hong Kong citizens with a HKSAR passport may refer to the table below for information on the visa requirements of your selected destination. For the full list of visa-exempted countries, please click here. The information below may only be used as a guideline and are only applicable when traveling for leisure purposes. 

HKSAR passport holders
Country Visa required? More information
Cambodia Yes

Click here

Japan No

Click here

Chinese Mainland No

Click here

South Korea No

Click here

Taiwan, China Yes

Click here

Thailand No

Click here

Vietnam Yes

Click here

*Customers holding HKSAR or other selected country passports can now travel to Saipan without having to apply for a visa. For more details, please click here.

Refusal of entry

It is your responsibility as a passenger to ensure you have all relevant documentation for your journey and to be allowed entry to the port of entry. If for whatever reason the port of entry deems your arrival to be suspicious or you are refused entry to the port of entry, the airline shall bear no responsibility for cost or repatriation regardless of the reason for the refusal of entry, and you will be responsible for all costs associated with your return to Hong Kong including any fines and repatriation costs. The airline will not provide you with a refund for your ticket, and may offset any unused sectors on your booking (as applicable) to offset any fines, penalties, losses, expenses or damage incurred by the airline as a result of the refusal of entry. You must reimburse the airline for any fines, penalties, losses, expenses or damage which the airline incurs as a result of the refusal of entry.

For Customers traveling to Japan

Customers holding HKSAR, MSAR, British National Overseas (BNO) or other selected country passports have been granted visa-free access to Japan are required to present a valid passport when entering and departing from Japan. A six-month validity passport rule is not required for foreign passports. However, Customers holding the Hong Kong Document of Identity (HKDI) or Macau Travel Permit must possess a travel document with at least 6 months of validity at the time of visa application submission.

For Customers traveling to Saipan

HK Express has been approved by the US Customs & Border Protection (CBP) into the Guam & Saipan Visa Waiver Program (Guam-CNMI VWP) as well as the US Visa Waiver program.

However, please note that certain documentations will still be required to facilitate your travel in to the United States.

ESTA requirements

Under the US Customs & Border Protection (CBP), all eligible international travellers traveling to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must enrol in the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

For Customers traveling to Saipan on the US Visa Waiver program, please note that enrolment in ESTA is mandatory. Please click here for more information.

For Customers traveling to Saipan on the Guam-CNMI VWP program, enrolment in ESTA is not required. Please click here for more information.

For children travelling to Saipan 

U.S. Customs and Border Protection reinforces immigration measures for children (under the age of 18) traveling to Saipan.

Child under 18 travelling with a supervising adult who is neither the parents must present a notarized authorization letter issued by both his / her parents. The letter should include the name, address, phone number, date and place of birth of the child, the name of his / her parents as well the name of the supervising adult(s) or the travel agent. Passport copies of both parents are also required.

For cases when any child under 18 is travelling with only one parent, a notarized permission letter in written format issued by the other parent is required. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the children, any other relevant supporting documents such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., are required.

If any child under 18 is travelling with both parents, only regular travel documents are required.

Failure to provide such documentation could result in detainment or refused entry for both supervising adult(s) and the child. We strongly recommend our Customers to prepare well in advance for a hassle-free journey. Additional information can be found here.

Check In

All necessary travel documents must be presented at check in. HK Express makes no allowance for missing, delayed or inaccurate documents and reserves the right to deny boarding without refund, rebooking or accommodation if travel documents do not meet the requirements for all customers traveling.

More Information

For more information please contact your government’s department or ministry responsible for international travel and the nearest embassy or consulate representing your destination.